If you’re lucky, you’ll be joining the estimated 4 million said to be leaving the country for Christmas this year.
At this time of year, any hint of sunshine or warmth is a rare treat and it’s fair to say that many of us fall into the trap of forgetting just how harmful the sun’s rays can be.
Winter Sun Myths and Problems
Here are a few of the common problems we face in the winter:
- Out of the sun protection habit… in the UK we spend more time indoors in the winter, so it’s a while since we needed to worry too much about all day sun protection. Always wear a high protection sun cream with SPF50+ – choose a quality broad spectrum sunscreen and apply liberally to all exposed areas
- Skiing? the snow forecast this year means that those in lower resorts could be spending more time sunbathing, while those privileged to see the snow need to be aware that the sun’s rays reflect from the snow and are more intense at altitude. Again, take sun protection seriously – never go out without applying a high protection sunscreen.
- Beach holidays? Don’t just rely on the sunscreen, take light clothing that you can use as a cover up if the sun is very strong
- Headwear? Those skiing should have their scalps covered by a helmet, but for beach holidays, take a hat that will protect not only your scalp, but also shade your face and neck – a wide brimmed hat is best
- Avoid prolonged exposure and times when the sun is highest in the sky – sitting outside for lunch looks and feels fabulous, but means you’re in the full glare of the sun at its highest point. Come indoors for lunch to take a break
- Hydration – always ensure you take plenty of fluids – especially if you are active
- Staying in the UK? – Even in December, the sun’s rays in the UK can be damaging. At Christmas and New Year, we tend to take the opportunity for a bit more time outside with long walks for some fresh air. Especially if you are out all day, it is vital to protect the skin with a good sunscreen
TREATING SUN DAMAGE
Many patients visit skin treatment doctors due to premature ageing caused by sun exposure. Treatments are available that can improve the skin, tackling areas of pigmentation, thread veins or wrinkles caused by sun damage. Consider IPL which achieves excellent results for a range of sun related conditions, while mesotherapy is good for nourishing and rehydrating the skin. Popular cosmetic injections such as botox are highly effective at tackling wrinkles and lines. Clinicbe offers its own unique Exquisite Facial which achieves remarkable results for sun damage by combining IPL with chemical peels.
Choose an experienced aesthetic physician who offers a broad range of treatments to give the best options to suit your unique skincare needs.
Dr Kubicka, MD, CIME/ICAM, MBCAM founded Clinicbe to offer a new holistic approach to skincare treatments; treating the patient as a whole in order to get the best possible results from any treatments they may have.
Private consultations include individual advice on nutrition and lifestyle to help tackle skincare issues from within and compliment professional treatments.
For further information or to arrange a confidential consultation, please contact us on 0207 125 0521 or email firstname.lastname@example.org