The presence of dark circles beneath the eyes is a common problem, seemingly all the more so in today’s busy society.
Eye bags can appear hollow or puffy beneath the eye and may be darker in colour, as tiny blood vessels show through the thin skin that surrounds the eye creating a shadow effect.
Whatever the symptoms, the fundamental problem is that they are noticeable and can often make a person look tired or older than they really are.
The first step to treating eye bags is to understand the cause.
What Causes Eye Bags?
There are a number of potential reasons why a person may have eye bags, which could include:
- We may inherit thinner or more translucent skin, making eye bags more prominent
- In addition, the skin will continue to thin with age
- Lack of sleep or disrupted sleep is a major factor in the appearance of eye bags as the thin skin beneath the eyes becomes even more translucent, making these blood vessels more obvious and the colour seem deeper
- Nasal congestion can also be a contributing factor, as the vessels beneath the eyes dilate, becoming wider and darker
- Puffiness is caused by an accumulation of fluid in the delicate tissues around the eye. This can be made worse by eating excess salt or consuming too much alcohol
Eye Bag Treatments
Eye bags can be notoriously difficult to treat – in fact, some treatments can even make the problem worse. For example, heavy eye creams can make the delicate skin puff up more.
Here are 5 popular treatments to try:
- Traditional remedies, placing cucumber slices or cooled damp tea bags over the eyes can actually improve the appearance of eye bags in the short term
- Ensure you have enough sleep (boring but effective!)
- Massage the area while cleansing or moisturising to stimulate blood flow
- Eye creams (look for specialist products and beware of using anything too heavy)
- Concealer/make up to disguise the problems
However, if these home remedies are not helping, then professional treatments can be very effective.
Exclusive Eyedealise Eye Rejuvenation
Dr Barbara Kubicka offers her exclusive “Eyedealise Eye Rejuvenation” treatment at Clinicbe in Belgravia.
The revolutionary “Eyedealise Eye Rejuvenation Treatment” carefully combines a number of processes to tackle the complex physiology of the eye area.
The treatment plan will be customised according to what each patient requires, but often includes a combination of:
- dermal fillers to replenish lost volume or plump out lines and wrinkles
- botox anti-wrinkle injections to smooth out wrinkles around the eyes and open up the eye area
- mesotherapy to stimulate the skin’s repair from within, improving the complexion
- eyelash growth stimulation for naturally fuller eyelashes – this really opens up the eye area